Panaji, Mar 26 (IBNS) Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday told the state legislative assembly that government has sought assistance of the Interpol to get Visa details of a suspect, who is charged with destroying evidences in the case of minor student's rape in a Vasco school this January.
The man has been identified as Monty, nephew of the school's suspended headmistress Sharlet Furtado, who is herself on bail on the same charge.
Parrikar agreed police department has failed to get clues to nail the rapist even after two and half months of the horrific incident.
"The Court in its judgment to a petition filed by victim's father expressed satisfaction over the investigation. Police is yet to get a breakthrough though efforts are being made," he told the House.
Seven year old student was raped in the school toilet during the recess break on January 14. Since then there has been only one arrest in the form of headmistress for destroying evidences. Her nephew Monty, police say, is in Dubai and was not in Goa even on the day of the crime.
Whereas the father has been claiming that Monty, Furtado's son Asville and another nephew were involved in raping his daughter. Two sketches of the suspect was released by the Goa Police but all in vain.
The school has been booked for destruction of evidences by washing the underwear of the victim and cleaning the toilet.
Congress legislator Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco and Independent legislator Vijay Sardesai questioned the government's seriousness in investigating the offense. They argued that the family has been undergoing trauma to such an extent that victim's elder sister has also stopped going to the school.
Meanwhile, the school has promoted the victim to Grade III even without answering the final exams, her father said. DIG O P Mishra has been quoted as saying that this is a blind case.
(Reporting by John Edwards)