Web Sify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

Vincent admits not reporting illegal approach by bookmakers

Source : IANS
Last Updated: Thu, Feb 27, 2014 10:02 hrs

Auckland: Former New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent Thursday pleaded guilty of not reporting an illegal approach made to him by bookmakers during the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) in 2013.

Vincent, 35, in a statement said that he had rejected the offer made to him and was not involved in fixing matches.

"I confirm I rejected this approach at the time. There is no allegation or suggestion anything untoward occurred beyond the approach itself," he said.

Vincent, who played for Khulna Royal Warriors in the BPL last year, is among the eight cricketers who are being probed by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for theior alleged role in the BPL.

Vincent, who retired last year, is the third player to have admitted his guilt in the match-fixing scandal in the BPL. Former Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful and Sri Lankan spinner Kaushal Lokuarachchi have admitted their role in match-fixing in BPL.

In his statement, Vincent admitted that he failed to report the approach made to him by illegal bookmaker under the ICC Code of Conduct.

"I also express I have no involvement in any of the matches, or matters, involving the other parties, which were the subject of recent hearings and investigation in Bangladesh. Unfortunately, I am unable to comment any further on this matter, as it is subject to an ongoing judicial process," he said.

"I am also continuing to co-operate with the ICC in respect of other inquiries, they are making, which also restricts my ability to comment any further," he added.

Vincent's former New Zealand team mates Daryl Tuffey and Chris Cairns are also being investigated by the ICC for their alleged role in match-fixing in the BPL.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Anti-Corruption Tribunal, investigating the case, has acquitted ex-Bangladesh cricketer Mohammad Rafique, Bangladesh paceman Mahbubul Alam and left-arm spinner Mosharraf Hossain, Kent allrounder Darren Stevens, Dhaka Gladiators co-owner Salim Chowdhury, and the club's Indian CEO Gaurav Rawat.

But the ICC and the BCB in a joint statement said that they are surprised and obviously disappointed with the outcome.

"Both organisations await the Tribunal's detailed written determination setting out the reasons for the outcome, which will be provided shortly, and will consider it carefully before determining the next steps, including whether to appeal any aspect(s) of the judgment," ICC and BCB said in a statement.




blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news