* Richards was knighted by the Antiguan government in 1999.
* When Richards married his childhood sweetheart at St John's in Antigua in 1980 the ceremony was given as much attention as a royal wedding; not unexpectedly for he was indeed the island's unofficial king.
* Under Richards' captaincy from 1985 to 1991 Wes Indies never lost a Test series. And when occasionally a Test defeat occurred he would smile and say "we have lost a battle but we will win the war".
* Besides his long tenure with Somerset in the English county championship, Richards played for Glamorgan from 1990 to 1993 and for Queensland in the Sheffield Shield in 1976-77.
* Richards was the idol of the crowd from a very young age, and when he was given out caught behind at the age of 17 in a Leeward Island tournament, they protested, stopped play and forced local officials to overrule the umpire's decision.
Image: Richards seen at a West Indies practice session in 1986.