Rio de Janerio: Brazil coach Dunga and all of his technical staff have been dismissed after the side's quarterfinal exit from the World Cup, the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) announced on Sunday.
The decision was widely expected after Brazil was beaten 2-1 by the Netherlands in the quarterfinals on Friday. The team took a 1-0 lead through Robinho in the first half, but went on to concede two goals and have a man sent off in a dismal second half performance in Port Elizabeth.
"With the closing of the work cycle that started in August 2006 and ended with the elimination of Brazil from the World Cup in South Africa, the CBF announces the dismissal of the Technical Commission of the Brazilian team," the federation said in a statement.
Desire the key to Nadal's success on grass
It added that a new coach will be appointed before the end of the month.
Local media tipped Mano Menezes, former Brazil player and AC Milan coach Leonardo, and Wanderley Luxemburgo as potential successors to Dunga.
Luiz Felipe Scolari, who coached Brazil to its fifth World Cup title in 2002, had previously been tipped for a return but has since said he is not available due to his commitments with Brazilian club Palmeiras.
Whoever is chosen, the new coach and his staff are likely to face a couple of friendly matches in the next few months and then the South American championship -- the Copa America -- in 2011 in Argentina.
Dunga returned to Brazil with the team early Sunday and was met with applause and cheering by fans in his native Porto Alegre in southern Brazil.
Brazil will host the World Cup in 2014 for the first time since 1950.