IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed

IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed

Last Updated: Mon, Jun 29, 2015 15:19 hrs
Lalit Modi

New Delhi/Dubai: Former Indian Premier League (IPL) chief Lalit Modi alleged on Saturday that Indian cricketers Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja and West Indian Dwayne Bravo had taken bribes from a bookie who was also a builder. The trio are all members of IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings.

Modi claimed through a series of tweets on Saturday that a real estate tycoon had given apartments to the players in addition to money and he had mailed the International Cricket Council (ICC) on that in 2013. 

The ICC on Sunday confirmed to receiving the confidential e-mail from the former IPL chairman and sharing it with the BCCI.

Modi also posted a letter which he claimed he wrote to ICC CEO Dave Richardson in June 2013, passing all the information and urging him to act upon it.

  • ICC confirms sharing Lalit Modi's mail with BCCI

The ICC on Sunday acknowledged having received former cricket administrator Lalit Modi's confidential e-mail -- in which he accused three international players of being involved in betting -- and sharing it with the Indian cricket board's anti-corruption unit.

ICC said the information was also provided to its Anti Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) and it dealt with it in accordance with its procedures.

Former Indian Premier League (IPL) chief Modi alleged on Saturday that Indian cricketers Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja and West Indian Dwayne Bravo had taken bribes from a bookie who was also a builder. The three are all members of IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings.

Modi claimed through a series of tweets on Saturday that real estate tycoon of HDIL.co Baba Diwan had given apartments to the players in addition to money.

He said when he was the IPL chief he "had banned him (Baba) from bidding for any IPL team".

Modi claimed that Diwan was a good friend of Gurunath Meiyappan and Raj Kundra, who have been implicated in the 2013 IPL betting and match fixing case by the Supreme Court.

Modi also posted a letter which he claimed he wrote to ICC CEO Dave Richardson in June 2013, passing all the information and urging him to act upon it.

None of the three cricketers named by Modi have so far been interrogated or spoken to by either the BCCI or the ICC.

"The ICC confirms that Mr Modi's confidential e-mail, which was received in June 2013, and which has recently been published on Twitter, was provided to the ACSU at the time. The ACSU handled that information in accordance with its standard operating procedures, which included sharing it with the BCCI's anti-corruption unit."

The ICC said it won't make any further comment in the matter.

Earlier on Sunday, Cricket Association of Bihar (CAB) secretary Aditya Verma shot off a letter to the International Cricket Council (ICC) seeking clarification on allegations against the three international cricketers' involvement in "illegal things".

Verma addressed his letter to Richardson, urging him to save the integrity and credibility of ICC.

  • BCCI gives 'clean chit' to accused players

The BCCI on Monday gave a clean chit to three international cricketers, who were accused of accepting bribes from a Mumbai-based businessman by ousted IPL commissioner Lalit Modi.

BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur said "there is nothing in it" when asked about the ICC acknowledging a letter from Modi in June 2013, claiming that two cricketers from India and a West Indian were paid in cash and kind to the tune of Rs 20 crore each.

"Lalit Modi had written a letter to ICC, so they informed BCCI about the letter. The three players are international players and fall under the international jurisdiction. There is no information on these players from ICC so far, so it is in a way a clean chit for them to play," said Thakur.

"The ICC has sent a press release, they had informed BCCI about the three players. When somebody plays international cricket, the ICC is responsible. Only the ICC can answer as per their investigations. It falls under ICC's purview. They have said that they are enquiring, so only they can answer on this. If there was anything, they could have reported back to us," he said further on the controversial issue.

The acknowledgement of Modi's letter came only on Sunday from the ICC.

"The ICC confirms that Mr Modi's confidential e-mail, which was received in June 2013, and which has recently been published on Twitter, was provided to the ACSU at that time. The ACSU handled that information in accordance with its standard operating procedures, which included sharing it with the BCCI's anti-corruption unit," the ICC had said.

On IPL, Thakur was asked about the identity of the player who was approached for spot-fixing ahead of the 2015 edition.

"We don't disclose the name of the players. If a player has been approached, we report it to the anti-corruption unit. We have to look at the detailed report. Once the final report comes in then we will take action. As of now, enquiry is still not over," Thakur added.

Inputs: IANS, PTI



More from Sify: