• The first match in now five-year old IPL was played on April 8, 2008. Since then as many as 20 players have made Test debuts for India. And Murali Vijay, Pragyan Ojha, Suresh Raina, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja and Shikhar Dhawan are indeed products of IPL
– thus contributing 30 percent in India’s debutant tally.
• Ravindra Jadeja’s all-round show in the shorter version of the game made him the most valuable player in the IPL – a price tag of two million US dollars for Chennai Super Kings. He proved his worth with the Man of the Match award in the last Test match against Australia at Delhi and his magnificent haul of 24 wickets in the series.
• Delhi’s opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan immediately made his impact on his Test debut with superb and swashbuckling double hundred at Mohali. True to his display in his maiden Test, he enjoys a fabulous strike rate of 122.31 in just 58 IPL matches which includes as many as 166 fours and 36 sixes.
• The Man of the Series in the just-concluded encounter against Australia Ravichandran Ashwin with his series haul of 29 wickets and much improved performance than his earlier outing against England made him selector’s choice in the series over veteran Harbhajan Singh. He is Chennai Super Kings’ top spinner in the IPL claiming 49 wickets.
• Although displaying very mediocre performance in the last Ranji Trophy championship, Murali Vijay was indeed star of the Indian batting line-up with the highest aggregate of 430 runs. He remains the only Indian and one of the four from the world to have scored more than two centuries in the IPL so far.
• Suresh Raina, utility player par excellence, has the distinction of scoring a century on debut, remains equaling successful in the IPL history. He is the highest run-getter in the competition with 2254 runs with help of as many as 14 fifties in 81 matches.
• Although in and out of the Indian team, the left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha is the joint sixth highest wicket taker in the IPL history with a fabulous tally of 69 wickets at an average of 22.43 while representing two teams – Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians.