Kumble-Kohli matter was not handled properly: Ganguly

Last Updated: Thu, Jun 29, 2017 09:05 hrs
Kumble-Kohli matter was not handled properly: Ganguly

Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Tuesday said the controversy involving ex-national team coach Anil Kumble and skipper Virat Kohli could have been handled a lot better by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

Talking to reporters here, Ganguly who is part of the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) of the BCCI responsible for selecting the coach, said: "The matter should have been handled a lot better, Anil Kumble and Virat Kohli. It should have been handled a lot better by whoever is in charge. It wasn't handled properly."

The CAC, which also comprises of Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman, is also understood to have been entrusted with the responsibility of breaking the impasse between Kohli and Kumble, but after discussions with the skipper, it reported to the BCCI that the relationship was beyond repair.

In a strongly worded letter, Kumble took to Twitter to reveal the reason behind his surprising decision.

Kumble said that although the BCCI had, several times, attempted to resolve the misunderstandings between him and the captain, it was apparent that the partnership was untenable, and therefore, he had decided to move on.

The statement from Kumble confirmed the reports about Kohli's alleged spat with Kumble regarding differences of opinion on selection matters.

However, Kohli before India's opening encounter at the Champions Trophy against Pakistan, had rejected the reports of him having rift with the head coach, saying they were mere speculations which have been created by the people.

Former Indian cricketer Lalchand Rajput, Dodda Ganesh, Richard Pybus and Tom Moody and former Indian opener Virender Sehwag have all applied for the post.

And the latest contender is former India team director Ravi Shastri, whom Kumble replaced last year.

The 55-year-old had also applied for the job in 2016 but Kumble was chosen over him by CAC.

Asked about the news that Ravi Shastri has applied for the coach's job after the BCCI extended the deadline for applications to July 9, Ganguly said: "Everybody has got the right to apply."

Ganguly was on Tuesday named in the seven-member Special Committee formed by the BCCI to identify the critical points in implementation of the Justice R.M. Lodha Committee reforms.

"The committee will face the music from Committee of Administrators," a laughing Ganguly said.

"I don't know what is the exact role. Will have to find out."

Asked about the Lodha Committee recommendations like 'one-state, one-vote', age cap of 70 years for office-bearers, increasing the number of members in the selection panel to five from the current three, and several others, Ganguly said: "There are lots more. There will be a meeting on the 1st (of July). There everything will be decided."

The Special Committee is expected to begin work in the next two days and is likely to submit its first report within a fortnight.

Meanwhile, the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) will have an emergent meeting on July 1 to discuss the way forward with the Lodha Committee reforms.

"We did not have SGM last year. Till the reforms are done it won't happen. We have informed the members of the meeting to discuss what's the way forward," Ganguly added.



More from Sify: