Vinod Rai, chief of the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), said on Monday that Anil Kumble will continue to serve as head coach of the Indian cricket team till the West Indies series.
Rai further said that it would, however, be subjected to Kumble's acceptance.
"The coach selection has been entrusted to the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC), which had selection Anil Kumble last year for a one-year contract and the process has to be followed," Rai told the reporters.
"But there is clarity to this extent that since it (the selection process) has got delayed, Anil Kumble, subject to his accepting, will be there for the West Indies Tour. Up till then he will be there.
But the advisory committee is meeting in London to decide about the coach," he added.
Kumble's contract as Indian cricket team's head coach will end post-India's campaign at the Champions Trophy and the BCCI has already invited applications for the position.
It is reported that the three-member CAC, comprising Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman, who are tasked to find the new coach for the Indian cricket team, is willing to retain incumbent the legendary leg-spinner for the post.
As per as ESPNCricinfo, the committee will speak to both Kumble and skipper Virat Kohli in an attempt to resolve differences that have emerged between the pair.
It is speculated that in case that fails, the trio will sit separately with Kohli to reach a deeper understanding of the reasons why he, and some players, are finding it hard to cope with his approach.
It should be noted after India left for England to defend the Champions Trophy, it was reported that all was not well between Kohli and Kumble.
Reports were surfacing about Kohli's alleged spat with Kumble regarding differences of opinion on selection matters.
However, Kohli, before India's opening encounter against Pakistan rejected the reports of him having rift with the head coach, saying they were mere speculations which have been created by the people.
The CAC trio met for the first time formally on June 8 in London and is understood to have had "good detailed discussions" on the matter.
The CAC understands the "onus" is on them to make the right choice and choose a right person for the post, especially as Kumble was their choice in the first place.
And it is but obvious that CAC, given the significance of the task, is not likely to be pushed into making any hasty decisions.
The CAC has asked the cricket board to allow it time and space to work through the situation, facilitating where needed in arranging various meetings.
While Dodda Ganesh, Lalchand Rajput, Richard Pybus and Tom Moody had submitted applications for the post of head coach, Virender Sehwag forwarded a two-line cover letter to the management.
The exercise to appoint a new head coach comes amid reports of a rift between Kumble and skipper Kohli.
Kohli, however, denied the validity of any such rumours and criticised the media for raking up the issue.
The board had also said it was not under any pressure and was just following a process because Kumble's contract was for one year and the selection process needed to be kept transparent.
India will go for a five-match ODI series against West Indies beginning June 23.