Mike Hussey and Brad Haddin give Australia advantage

Last Updated: Sat, Nov 27, 2010 04:17 hrs

​Brisbane: Mike Hussey scored a battling 124 not out and Brad Haddin a superb 79 not out to give Australia a first innings lead of 69 over England at lunch on the third day of the first Ashes test on Saturday.

The pair frustrated England's toiling bowlers on a sunny morning at the Gabba and had put on 186 for the fifth wicket at the end of an extended session to leave Australia on 329-5 in response to the tourists' 260.


Lefthander Hussey, who had said Saturday's first session could be pivotal in a tight match, rode his luck early on against England's pace attack as he crept run by run towards his 12th test century.

Wicketkeeper Haddin, who had resumed on 25, stifled his attacking instincts but still scored more freely than his partner to achieve his sixth test 50 with a cover drive for four.

It was not long, though, before Hussey brought up his 12th test century with his 16th boundary of the innings, sparking wild celebrations from another packed house at the Gabba.


Hussey, who had been under pressure for his place in the team before the test, pumped his fists then raised his arms in the air as he took the ovation before embracing Haddin in the middle of the wicket.

Resuming on 81, Hussey had added just one run to his overnight total when he was given out lbw to James Anderson but a review of the TV pictures showed the ball had pitched outside leg stump and umpire Aleem Dar's decision was overturned.

Soon afterwards, the 35-year-old was giving thanks that England had already used the two umpire reviews they are allowed in each innings when Dar ignored another loud shout for lbw from Anderson.

Television replays showed he would have been given out had an appeal been available and used by England.

England's luck did not improve when Paul Collingwood came on to bowl later in the morning when Alastair Cook got his finger tips to a looping shot from Haddin but failed to hold the catch.

Saturday's opening session was extended to 2- hours after play was abandoned early because of bad light and rain on Friday.

More from Sify: