Mitchell Johnson ruled out of Sydney Test

Mitchell Johnson ruled out of Sydney Test

Last Updated: Sun, Jan 04, 2015 11:28 hrs
Adelaide Test - Day 3

Sydney: Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson has been ruled out of the fourth and final Test against India with hamstring soreness, Cricket Australia said on Sunday.

Johnson, 33, who bowled long spells during the first three Tests against India, had some right hamstring soreness during the Boxing Day Test and had not fully recovered since then, CA physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.

"As such, he will not play in the upcoming Sydney Test match. We expect him to recover in time to play a part in the upcoming Tri Series against England and India," Kountouris said.



Coach Darren Lehmann said he did not want to take any risks with Johnson as he was a key part of Australia's summer season.

"We want him 100 percent right so won't be taking any risks with him," Lehmann said.

"We believe it is best for Mitchell to take this opportunity to freshen up and get his body fully fit ahead of the Tri Series."

Johnson missed a training session with the rest of the team in Sydney on Saturday, media reports said, adding that he had stayed instead at their hotel for treatment.

Australia's squad includes fellow left-armer Mitchell Starc and Peter Siddle as potential back-up pace bowlers -- along with Ryan Harris and Josh Hazlewood.

Australia regained the Border-Gavaskar Trophy on Tuesday after India hung on for a tense draw in the third Test in Melbourne. Australia won the first two Tests in Adelaide and Brisbane.

More from Sify: