WebSify
Follow us on
login
Print

Pietersen must publicly apologise for 'second time' to resurrect England career

Source : ANI
Last Updated: Mon, Oct 01, 2012 11:44 hrs

Controversial batsman Kevin Pietersen would need to make a second public apology in order to secure his new central contract with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

According to the Telegraph, the South Africa born batsman is also expected to make an apology to his teammates as part of conditions laid down by the ECB after a week of intensive talks in Sri Lanka.

Pietersen has already issued a public apology for sending provocative texts to the South African side last summer and also said sorry personally to Andrew Strauss, the former captain and subject of the messages, the paper said.

Relations between Pietersen and the ECB have improved but the board has insisted he shows more contrition for his part in the collapse of relations over the past six months, the paper added.

Talks were held last week in Colombo between Pietersen and Hugh Morris, the managing director of England cricket, the paper further said.

The paper also reported an announcement on Pietersen's future may be delayed either until the end of the World Twenty20 or England's elimination from the competition as the team concentrates on defending their title.

Pietersen's existing central contract expires on Monday when he becomes a free agent.

The negotiations with Pietersen have been complex. What started out as a breakdown in relations between player, teammates and coach, reached a climax when Pietersen sent text messages to the South African side making comments about Strauss, the paper concluded. (ANI)



blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify sports