Shane Watson has said he is unsure if he will be ready to bowl in the second Test against South Africa in Adelaide, and understands his return is not automatic.
The pivotal all-rounder faced throw downs from outgoing batting coach Justin Langer in the Gabba nets on Sunday, and said his recovery from a calf strain was on track.
Watson, the powerful No.3 batsman and influential seamer, is expected to re-join the squad for the Adelaide Test, which starts on November 22.
"I'm not sure. It really depends on how things progress over the next week. If there's no hiccups, there's a likelihood I'll be able to bowl some overs but I just want to try and be able to get fit and if that means I get fit enough early enough to get some overs into me then that's great," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Watson, as saying after he was asked whether he would be fit to bowl by the second Test.
"So far so good. I'm on track at the moment. I'm not counting my chickens, everything has got to keep progressing well over the next week. Things can change quickly as I know from the past so I'm not getting ahead of myself," he added.
Michael Clarke said before the series began in Brisbane that he needed Watson to bowl to guarantee his selection.
"I'd love to be able to be a part of the next Test match if everything goes well but I really just want to get fit, that's the most important thing," Watson said.
Watson hurt his calf bowling in a Sheffield Shield game for Queensland before the first Test. (ANI)