The Aadhaar card version 2.0 is here. The Unique Identification Authority of India announced on October 7 that the second iteration of Aadhar cards would be made available.
The new cards promise better security and would be reprinted on Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) cards.
Here's a look at what's new with these cards, the features, benefits and how to get one for yourself.
1. Ease/Security: The authority in a tweet said that the new cards are loaded with new security features. In terms of security, the new cards have a Secure QR Code for instant online verification, and a Hologram.
2. Looks: The new Aadhar card is waterproof, has an embossed logo of Aadhar and a Guilloche Pattern. It is convenient to carry and instantly verifiable online. UIDAI says the verification can also be done in offline mode.
Previous cards were long and difficult to carry. Moreover it was common to see consumers get their cards laminated in order to prevent the card from getting soiled. That's changing since the new cards are printed on PVC cards themselves.
Also, they come with micro-text and ghost image alongside the issue date and print date for added security features.
3. How much does it cost? The new Aadhar cards can be procured online from the authorized UIDAI website. It costs Rs 50 to apply for such a card.
4. How to get one? Applications will have to be made on the official UIDAI website. You may have to feed your 12 digit Aadhaar Number (UID) or 16 digits Virtual Identification Number (VID) or 28 digits Enrollment ID. Requests can also be made via a registered mobile number. You will get an One-Time Password verification.
5. How soon can I expect the card? According to UIDAI, the process should be completed in minutes. But, the card should arrive via Speed Post. It can take at least five working days. If you are staying in a non-metro zone or a far-flung location, expect some delay here.
Process in a nutshell to procure the new Aadhar Card:
1. File Request: Visit UIDAI online or a nearby Aadhar Seva Kendras.
2. On Website: Enter the 12 digit Aadhaar Number (UID) and Enter the security captcha code.
3. If you have a TOTP handy, you can opt for "I have TOTP" else click on "Request OTP"
4. Enter your details related to mobile verfification or TOTP.
5. Click on submit button after agreeing to terms and conditions to complete request.
6. Payment: After confirming the details on the preview pane, you are directed to a payment gateway page.
7. Take Receipt: After successful payment, a receipt is generated. Take note of this receipt. Save it in pdf format.
Once the order is placed for the PVC Aadhaar card, the resident UIDAI will send the printed Card within five working days through speed post.