Nizamuddin Tablighi HQ evacuated, 24 positive cases among evacuees

Source : IANS
Author : IANS
Last Updated: Tue, Mar 31st, 2020, 13:56:33hrs


New Delhi: Tablighi Jamaat's international headquarters Nizamuddin Markaz in southwest Delhi, where around 1,400 persons were stuck in the wake of a nationwide lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, has been evacuated even as at least 24 corona positive cases from among those evacuated have been confirmed.

These patients include 10 Malaysians. Reports of 34 samples are yet to arrive.

On Monday night, around 100 suspected coronavirus cases were evacuated from the religious complex in buses. They have been kept in isolation in Narela area of Delhi.

Those who were ill were admitted in various hospitals.

Six of the persons who returned to Telangana from the Tablighi HQ have since died from the coronavirus infection. Positive cases were reported from J&K, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Andaman and Nicobar Islands etc.

The family of a person who died on Monday after attending the religious congregation has been kept in isolation even as those who returned to their homes in Andhra Pradesh and Telengana were being tracked. At least 18 persons related to the deceased have been quarantined in Hyderabad.

A total of 194 people remain quarantined in Telengana while 981 persons in Tamil Nadu have been identified for screening.

As per information available with IANS, there were around 250 foreign nationals stuck at the Tablighi HQ, including around 200 from Indonesia, 30 from Thailand, 10-15 from Kyrgyzstan, and Malaysia.

The religious group's international headquarters, called Nizamuddin Markaz, is situated in the middle of Nizamuddin colony in southwest Delhi, from where it originally started. It has centres in over 200 countries.

On Saturday and Sunday, around 200 persons from the complex were admitted in various hospitals in Delhi as a precautionary measure. Out of these 200, six of those admitted in Lok Nayak Jaiprakash hospital had returned a coronavirus positive report.

Asked about the coronavirus positive cases, group spokesperson Dr Mohammed Shoib Ali had then claimed that the hospital concerned had not given them any such report.

Tablighi group maintained that the congregation of so many persons in the complex was reported before the nationwide lockdown on March 24 midnight. They had merely followed instructions to people to stay put wherever they were.

Tablighi Jamaat: TN checks on its attendees as cases spike

Chennai: Tamil Nadu government is in the process of checking out for Coronavirus infection symptoms on those persons who had attended the Islamic conference held in Delhi, said officials.

On Monday the state reported a sudden spike in Coronavirus positive cases. A total of 17 persons were tested positive taking the total to 67 in Tamil Nadu.

Government officials said about 1,500 persons had attended the conference from Tamil Nadu and the virus infection on the members of this group resulted in the spike.

The health department officials statewide are screening about 1,000 persons who have returned after attending the conference.

The government has appealed to the family members of those who had attended the conference to home quarantine themselves and register with the nearest government hospital.

A Muslim religious organisation Tablighi Jamaat had organised a conference in Delhi's Nizamuddin area this month.

Those who had participated in the conference had returned before the nationwide lockdown was announced.

According to officials, a total of 16 persons who had attended the conference in Delhi have tested positive for Coronavirus in Tamil Nadu.

A 54-year old person in Madurai tested positive for Coronavirus and later he died. It was learnt that he was in contact with two Thai nationals who had also attended the Delhi conference.

The two Thai nationals also tested positive for Coronavirus and have been admitted to hospital in Erode.

A doctor who had treated the COVID-19 patients in Erode, her 10 month old baby and two others in her household tested positive for virus and have been admitted to hospital.

In Erode containment steps have been taken up.

With people who had attended the conference and those who were in contact with them testing positive for Coronavirus infection, the government has started screening others who had attended the conference and those who were in contact with them in various districts.

Their blood samples are being collected to testing.

According to government officials, about 1.08 lakh homes in 12 districts where Coronavirus infections has been reported have been screened

Tablighi Jamaat: Yogi cuts short visit, Muslim leaders seek probe

Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has cut short his programme after visiting Ghaziabad and is returning to Lucknow to hold a high-level meeting with officials in view of the Tablighi Jamaat conference that has spurred the COVID-19 cases.

According to Additional Chief Secretary Home Avanish Awasthi, the Chief Minister will review the quarantine measures being taken to isolate those who attended the Jamaat meeting earlier this month.

Meanwhile, Sunni cleric Maulana Khalid Rashid Firangi Mahali in a video message, said that Tablighi Jamaat was a religious organisation, but it should have adhered to the safety protocols announced by the government. He said that investigations should be held in the incident to fix responsibility in the matter.

He said that the organisation did not have any political affiliations.

Shia Waqf Board chairman Waseem Rizvi said that some fundamentalist Muslims were trying to undermine Prime Minister Narendra Modi's efforts to control Coronavirus.

He said that if any deaths took place due to this, action should be taken against those responsible.

T'gana faces uphill task identifying Nizamuddin Markaz returnees from Delhi

Hyderabad: Rattled by the death of six persons due to coronavirus, authorities in Telangana are set to launch an intensive drive on Tuesday to identify and quarantine all those who had attended Tablighi Jamaat meeting in New Delhi.

The medical and health department has alerted all districts to trace the persons who returned from the national capital and their contacts.

As more than 10 days have passed since the return of the participants in the religious programme, the authorities face an uphill task of identifying all those who came in contact with them.

The department has asked all those attended the meeting at Markaz in Delhi's Nizamuddin area to inform the officials concerned. The government assured that it would conduct tests and offer treatment to them free of cost.

The department said anyone who has information about the participants in the meeting should alert the government.

The participants in the meeting held from March 13 to 15 returned to Hyderabad, Nizamabad and other districts between March 17 and 18. The Nizamuddin Markas is a place where entire year people from many states and abroad visit and stay. Mid March an ijtima was organised just ahead of the Lockdown21, which saw thousands in attendance amid the pandemic outbreak.

The number of participants could be several hundreds. Chief Minister K. Chandrashekhar Rao had told a news conference on Sunday night that in Kothagudem alone 200-300 people who had visited Delhi were identified and kept in isolation.

At that news conference he shared the 'good news' of the recovery of 24 persons who had earlier tested positive for Covid-19 and hoped that the state will be free from the virus in a week but 24 hours later the death of six persons rattled the state authorities.

He had also slammed those accusing the government of hiding the truths about Covid-19 cases. He said though a 74-year-old man died of some other ailment at Hyderabad's Global Hospital on Thursday he was also counted among coronavirus cases as the examination of his body revealed he was positive.

He had also said that those undergoing treatment at various hospitals were stable. "Only one man because of old age and other problems is not stable and even he is not critical," the chief minister had said.

KCR had hoped that by April 7 nearly 26,000 under surveillance would complete their quarantine period and if no new cases were reported the state would be free from scourge of coronavirus.

However, within 24 hours the situation changed dramatically. Of the total six deaths, four were reported from Hyderabad. Two of them died at Gandhi Hospital, where majority of Covid-19 patients were under treatment. A man died at Apollo Hospital. One death each was reported from Nizamabad and Gadwal.

The department has not yet come out with details like whether they had already tested positive or this came to light after their death.

The government had already directed all hospitals to report all the deaths to the health department. Global Hospital had informed the department about the death of a man on Thursday. His body was shifted to Gandhi Hospital, where it was tested positive for Covid-19.

It is likely that the five others may had admitted to hospitals for treatment of other ailments but after their death the officials probed their travel history and on suspicion conducted tests to find that they were Covid-19 positive.