Chennai: In what could cause a huge embarrassment for the ruling AIADMK government, the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court, on Friday, directed the Tamil Nadu government to reissue the Government Order related to transferring the Pollachi sexual abuse case to CBI, citing that the old order reveals the identity of the victim.
A Division Bench of Justices N. Kirubakaran and S. S. Sundar observed that the Government Order (GO) mentioned the identification details of the victim and sought that the information must be removed from the GO.
The court has directed the ruling AIADMK government to remove the details of the victim and bring out a fresh GO.
“The cries of the victim is still echoing in our ears,” the judge said and asked, “if the identity of the victim is revealed, how would any one come forward against such atrocities?”
On the authorities concerned in revealing the identity of the girl, the court said that they could be dealt with departmentally by the State.
The judge said the incident has sent shock waves across the country. “Let it be an eye opener that such incident should not happen again,” the court said suo motu pointing out that the Internet Service Providers in the case and asked the State and Centre to sensitise public to the usage of internet.
The Pollachi sexual abuse case came to light when a 19-year-old woman complained to the police last month that four men tried to disrobe her in a car, filmed the assault, and stole gold jewellery from her.
All the accused have been booked under sexual harassment (354 A) and assault (354 B) sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). They were also booked under sections of the Information Technology Act, 2000, and the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Women's Harassment Act.
Read full story here: