The state home department sounded the alert after they were tipped off by intelligence agencies that terrorists had entered the state from Sri Lanka for possible attacks in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, reported Hindustan Times.
Reports claimed that Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists may have entered South India via Sri Lanka. While most of the terrorists are Pakistanis, some of them are from Sri Lanka as well.
As per the intelligence report, the group has about 6 to 8 people and their objective is to hit targets in Tamil Nadu and other areas. The report further says that Tamil Nadu has been selected as the target due to fewer security measures in place.
The Chennai Commissioner of Police has said that patrolling forces have been increased and precautions have been put in place.
The DGP has instructed that in the entire state, storming operations should be conducted which include:
- Lodge checks
- Vehicle check for explosives and arms
- Intensification of patrols and checking
- Checking of guards at sensitive/critical installations
- Keeping a look out for miscreants
- Preventive arrests of bad characters
- Checking at railway stations, bus stands and airports
- Checking of guards and TPF in temples
Reports suggest that these terrorists are ready to infiltrate Kashmir from terror launchpads in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) due to abrogation of Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir.